Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Angela Davis Johnson Presents: "Kinfolk and the Apothecary Dream"

"'Kinfolk and the apothecary dream' is part family history 
and part allegorical interpretation of a dream I had about 
being led out of the city by a strange man, 
through an apothecary, to the woods, onto a levee 
where I could see my ancestors toiling in a field below me....


"By juxtaposing sketches from family snapshots
with images and text of the Elaine Riots/Massacre
I created a series of Conté drawings, collages, and mixed media pieces
that not only reflect my eastern Arkansas heritage
but also attempt to start an honest dialogue
about how the past actions of our predecessors
affect today's society and cultural identity.

"This show is a visual medicine for the mind,
an apothecary for the soul."

Come meet Angela and drop in on her dream
Friday, May 17th from 6:00 to 10:00 PM

The show runs through June.

No comments:

Post a Comment